These two destinations in the far north of Thailand are great places to get away from mainstream tourism, and there is no shortage of establishments geared towards weary travellers with an empty stomach. Mae Hong Son is a typical Thai town and most the tourist-friendly eateries are located in hotels, though there are a few restaurants about town, especially near the pond, that do brisk trade with foreign visitors.
Mae Hong Song accommodation varies quite a bit and you’ll find backpacker dorms, luxury resorts and everything in between. Mae Hong Son has several large hotels to cater to the tour buses that pass through, but plenty of budget guesthouses too. Pai on the other hand is mostly budget and though it packs out from December to March, there are loads of cheap bamboo bungalows scattered about. But there are some comfortable places too, and just by wandering around the small town centre you’re spoil for choice with budget eateries.
See our Recommended Accommodation in Pai.
Recommended Accommodation in Mae Hong Son
– Baiyoke Chalet: Conveniently sits in city downtown and a 5-minute walk to the Walking Street. All rooms come with air-conditioning, TV, balcony, mini bar and bathroom with a shower. Laundry and massager service are also available…more details and booking
– Ban View Nam Camping & Resort: Sits along the Pai River and surrounded by mountains. All rooms come with air-conditioning, TV, mini bar, balcony, free WiFi, bathroom with a shower and refrigerator. On-site restaurant serves a variety of international, Thai and local dishes…more details and booking
– Banphu Montalang Resort: Just 3.5 km away from the airport. This resort designed for both business and leisure travelers. Featuring quality rooms with modern facilities, free WiFi, car park, pets allowed and garden…more details and booking
– Boondee House: Located in the city center and easy access to local attractions like market, temples, restaurants and tours. Offering rooms with air-conditioning, free WiFi, balcony, cable TV, tea & coffee maker and bathroom with a shower… more details and booking
– Fern Resort: A Shan-styled resort sits in a secluded valley and a 10-minute drive from down town. It’s a perfect place for a nature retreat and activities like bird watching, elephant riding and trekking. All rooms come with air conditioning, balcony, free drinking water and a shower. There’re also outdoor pool, restaurant, bar and library on site…more details and booking
– Gims Resort: A contemporary-styled resort sits in a valley, only a short drive from the airport. All rooms are modern furnished come with air-conditioning, WiFi, balcony, cable TV and mini bar. Complimentary tea/coffee served at the lobby and free bicycle rental for city exploring…more details and booking
– Goldenpai and Suite Resort: This Lanna-Shan style resort is only 5 km away from the airport. Offering a wide range of facilities such as air conditioned rooms, 24-hour security, daily housekeeping, outdoor pool, spa and garden…more details and booking
– Imperial Mae Hong Son Resort: Peacefully sits on outskirts of its city. Featuring the extensive teak-wood garden, outdoor pool, restaurant, fitness center and a 24-hour front desk. All rooms come with air conditioning, Wi-Fi, private balcony, TV, mini bar, safety box and bathroom…more details and booking
– Mae Hong Son Mountain Inn & Resort: A long-running hotel sits in the city center. It features a large outdoor pool, restaurant and massage & spa service. All Thai-Lanna styled rooms set with air-conditioning, cable TV, balcony and bathroom. A famous walking street is only a 200-m away…more details and booking
– Ngamta Hotel: Sit right in the city center and a few steps away from a popular walking street. All rooms are set with air-conditioning, LCD TV, free WiFi, mini bar and bathroom with a shower. Car rental and laundry service are also available…more details and booking
– Palm House: Located in city center and easy access to the main attractions. This venue offers all your need for a good night’s sleep include free WiFi, and daily housekeeping…more details and booking
– Panorama Hotel: Sits in the city center, just a kilometer away from the airport. Offering rooms with stand facilities like air-conditioning, telephone, cable TV and bathroom with hot shower. Free WiFi is available at the lobby area…more details and booking
– Phuchomjan Resort: This resort is a 25-minute drive to Mae Hong Son Airport. Features simply decorated rooms with air-conditioning or fan, free WiFi, private balcony, TV and bathroom…more details and booking
– Sangsawang Resort: Sits in a beautiful landscaped garden, 6 km from the city center and 6.5 km from the airport. All rooms are simply furnished with free WiFi, balcony, TV, bathroom and a shower…more details and booking
– Sarm Mork Guest House: Sits right in the city center, a few steps from Mae Hong Son Walking Street and only 1km from the airport. Offering rooms with air-conditioning or fan, free WiFi, cable TV, bathroom with a shower…more details and booking
– The Likeview Guesthouse: A small and cozy guesthouse, directly sits in the city center and a few steps away from the city’s attractions. Featuring views of mountains and lake, free WiFi, luggage storage and private parking…more details and booking
– The Point Villa Mae Hong Son: Sits in city center and a short drive from the airport. This an ideal place for relaxing experience. This modern villa features a wide range of facilities such as free WiFi in all rooms, 24-hour security, daily housekeeping and non smoking rooms…more details and booking